Monday, January 11, 2010

What's a Theme Model, Anyway?

In high school and college work you have to write book reports, and term and theme papers, etc. Most instructors insist that a lead part on these writings include a "theme statement."

It's a two or three sentence statement of what the paper is all about.

A Theme Model is much the same thing, , , only the graphic version. In it every point of your presentation is reduced as far as possible, , , but every necessary element is contained in it.

It is a paradox, with which every speaker must deal while they're developing their content, , , and now it is putting it into a visual form. Edited but complete.

Abraham Maslow's pyramid model, known as The Hierarchy of Human Needs, is the most widely published theme model. It embodied all that Maslow taught.

Chris Andersen's, model, from his book by the same name, Long Tail, The, Revised and Updated Edition: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More is the same sort of visual aid.

I live and breathe graphic modeling. I've studied the visual aids used by world-class presenters every since I was a teen. And that's been a long, long time.

The design and use of theme models is the calling of my life. I create them. I use them. And I teach other people to do the same.

I use PowerPoint a lot.

But I am a firm believer that the best way to really learn theme model building is with a marker and a whiteboard.

So, to teach other presenters how to do their own model drawing, I have developed a very unique seminar-workshop. It's simply called, How to Draw Your Message.

In this program everyone will have their own whiteboard and markers.

The boards will be arranged in a circle around the room.

I will draw something on my board. Each attendee will follow suit and draw the same thing I do. Every box, every circle, every line, every arrow, every stick man, and write every word I do.

You'll learn by doing!

It will be an unparalleled experience. And you'll have fun doing it.

When we are all done with the thirty categories we draw and discuss, you will know how to generate your own Theme Model. Guaranteed!

More about this career-changing program later.

Wayne

P.S. Keep your eyes pealed on this blog and pick up on part two of this article, , , it's called, Is One Visual All I Need? And tell others about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment