Thursday, February 18, 2010

Presenters; Come Join the iSpring/SlideBoom Boom

Every since 1997 when I first met PowerPoint, and began discovering its pros and cons I’ve heard people ask, “What’s wrong with PowerPoint? ? ? After all, it’s only a tool, , , if there is a bad presentation, then there must be a lousy user somewhere.”

And this is partially true.

But, , , every time I hear the “What’s wrong with PPT, , ,” question my figure shoots up into the air. I’m not thinking about the user. It’s “PowerPoint right out of the box” that concerns me.

“What is it Wayne?” you’re asking.

“It’s the file!” I scream. And that is a result of the disks that come right out of the box from Microsoft. It’s their programming.

For starters, a PowerPoint file is much to large (compared to a Flash file). And Flash is the basis of online video. Plus, these files are very messy to work with when it comes to posting them online and in emails.

Of course, I’m a techno-zero, but that’s my perspective.

I do love the PowerPoint tool package, but in my opinion it is not arranged right. And most of its’ bullet point infested templates and wizards are third rate, at best.*

Many of these tools are very nice, , , if, and only if they are used correctly.

My personal problem is that I’m not a PPT basher. I use it virtually every day. It would be difficult for me to do without. So, now is the time for me to put this whole discussion into full prospective.

In recent weeks I have become a huge fan of a Web 2.0 PowerPoint to Flash converter called iSpring. I use the free version appropriately called, iSpring Free (found at http://www.ispringfree.com/ ). It’s amazing.

I’d like to commend its creators!

First, they have the Flash conversion process down pat, , , it works like a charm. Second, they nail it when it comes to “user friendliness.” Even this old-timer can get the job done quite nicely. And third, little or nothing that is generated in PowerPoint is lost in the process.

Kudos to the iSpring team!

Last but not least, is their free hosting service, SlideBoom.com. You have to check it out.

They have over 4,000 contributing artist, many of which have well over 200 presentations posted. So it’s a hefty little beast.

Again, I’m a simple guy. I do not understand the first thing about programming or software design. All I know is when I see something (like iSpring) that really works.

It seems to me that a big outfit like Microsoft could have done everything that the iSpring gang has done, including the free hosting website, a decade ago.

Instead they have simply let its users suffer through all the speed-bumps associated with posting slideshows or videos online.

Or maybe, I’m just full of it.

Wayne

* And if Bill Gates and his gang want to know how to re-arrange PPT, I’d be glad to help out with my “one module” solution. For a fee of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment