Friday, April 30, 2010

Bad Speaker Syndrome, Wayne Kronz

Stage fright and lack of confidence plague many public speakers. Some say, “this is normal, , , and to be expected.”

I say differently, “the great majority of public speakers and presenters should be able to get rid of most, if not all of this anxiety.”

If this fear was always there every time I spoke, I’d just not speak any more. But, at least once a week, I hop right up front expecting nothing but a positive outcome. And it usually works out just that way.

Honestly, I look forward to every time I speak. (And not because I'm a good speaker.)

But I hasten to say, everyone isn’t like me. Fear, anxiety and lack of confidence bog many down. They simply hate to have to speak. They may be caught up in what I call the “Bad Speaker Syndrome.”

It begins with memory of someone who was a bad speaker, , , maybe even themselves. It could be anybody. They visualize the tag, “bad speaker.”

“Bad Speakers” bore audiences. And it’s true. At least most of the time. And, particularly when they use 50 PowerPoint slides full of nothing but bullet points and text to tiny to read.

Then come the insults. This does really happen, , , but it need not happen to you.

As a general rule, audiences want you to succeed as a presenter. They’re “on your side.” But, mess up enough and they will talk, , , and it will not be pretty.

But things do not have to fall apart that much for you. Do a few things right and you are in for an acceptable presentation.

But, remarks can and do hurt. At least that may be your perception. Add in another round of insults and your mind will begin to play tricks on you.

You may follow with a, , ,

“Not Me.” I don’t have to put up with this stuff. . .

And the fear just builds into a giant mountain. Worse yet, you may just quit and never give another presentation in your life. Got Nood!

The above pattern has halted many careers and personal development endeavors. It’s a syndrome you don’t want to fall into.

I have ways you can use to insure that you never fall into this pattern of negative thinking. And most of these “ways” have to do with the multitude of visual tools you can use in your presentations.

Keep your eyes fixed on this blog.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment